Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Day 1 and 2: Traveling

I departed for my adventure on May 7, 2013 with my companion and best friend Lauren Christiansen :) we got to the airport and our mom's helped us check in and then we said goodbye at the security gate.  That was super hard because as soon as we both walked away I knew I was on my own for the next month.  


We went through security and like usual I always go off in security.  This time it was because of my lap top.  I guess I know better for next time ;) We weren't rushed and got on our flight to JFK.  It was such a short flight but so much happened during it! We played trivia games and learned that we really don't know very much haha but it made time go by very fast! Then we made playlists and I found a lot of good songs that of course are my favorite just like every other song I hear ;)  Lauren and I kept asking for Diet Cokes and cookies and so finally one of the flight attendants said "you must really like Diet Coke".  I didn't think we had that big of a problem...but after many Diet Cokes I had to pee really bad, but I am terrified of airplane bathrooms so I decided I could wait till the plane landed.  Well we had 30 minutes left and I just could not hold it any longer so I conquered my fear and went to the bathroom! I'm sure you all are very proud ;) haha


Once we landed in JFK we had one hour to rush from one terminal to the other and let's just say I learned one thing: duffle bags are not the way to go.  It was so hard to carry that around and I'm pretty sure I'll have back problems when I get home because of it ;) When we finally got to our gate we were starving, sweaty, and stressed.  When we were waiting in line Lauren and I noticed two guys staring at us and they were making it very obvious.  Of course I made the choice to watch Taken 2 out of all movies right before Europe...made it even worse! We boarded the plane and I noticed they were sitting right in front of us so I hurried and passed and they stopped Lauren.  Luckily they knew who she was and she knew who they were so we were good! Don't worry I won't get taken while I'm here, or at least I sure hope not!  I also have strep or something because my throat kills :( I am constantly coughing and it hurts to swallow.  Lets just say I could not wait to get to London to get my medicine in my bag!

The plane from JFK to London was nice.  We had pillows, blankets, free movies, and food!  For dinner  I had the pasta, salad, bread, and a little brownie and guess what...they gave me the whole can of Diet Coke!! :) After dinner Lauren and I got all situated and watched the Odd Life of Timothy Green.  It was such a cute movie! After the movie I don't know what it was but I was a mess.  I really started to miss home.  I miss Pete's laugh, I miss squeezing his hand when I'm scared, I miss watching a movie with him, I just miss him, a lot! I can't wait to see him again and it's only been one day!  I miss mom giving me crap haha but I am loving her little words of encouragement through "Whats App" :) best thing I could have gotten!  I miss dad telling me to take advil and go to bed because quite frankly that is what I wanted to do more than anything.  I miss Brandon's funny voice but guess what...Brittany is in the real world now ;) haha I miss Corbin and his smartness! I don't have someone telling me where to go and it's weird, I have to figure it all out on my own! Ok I never thought I'd say this but I miss giving Kenzie crap about being in MY clothes.  She usually always looks a lot better than I do and I'm pretty sure I should have left most of my clothes home because I brought A LOT!  I miss Tyson bugging me all the time haha I don't see any kids here and it's weird, and there's not a lot of red heads either! I miss Cooper waiting at the door when I come in.  No one gets all excited to see me anymore haha I also miss mom and dad Hayward! Thanks for the money you gave me to get something for Pete and I :) I'm very excited to go shopping!  Ok now that I've gone on and on about missing home I didn't sleep at all on the plane.  I just sat there and cried while singing A Child's Prayer in my head.  Finally after moving around for over and hour trying to get some sleep I decided to listen to some music and that helped a little until we landed.  

When we landed we made it into the country safely with no problems and then went to get our bags.  Luckily a huge part of our group had just landed from another flight and so we were able to hang with them.  I seriously don't know what I would have been able to do without them! We got on the metro and headed to our flats! When we got there we had a VERY LONG walk back to our flat.  When I say VERY LONG I mean it.  Carrying around 80+ pounds was probably not the smartest thing to do so my hands and shoulders were trashed by the time we got to our flat.  It is actually pretty nice! We are staying in one of the richest parts of London so I feel fairly safe.  Lauren and I and two other girls Savannah and Hailey are in room 1D :)  We are in bunk beds and I get the top one! Our kitchen is also extremely nice! We have 4 fridges! 



Once we got everything situated we headed to the market and got some food.  I struggled paying for it because their currency is so weird! Hopefully I'll figure it out someday ;) After that we went to McDonald's because I felt like I was going to pass out.  I got a happy meal! They don't put salt on their fries, weird huh??


Anyways...then we went to TK MAXX to buy a blow dryer so we don't blow up our place haha by that point we were exhausted so we came home and took a half and hour nap! That is probably the best thing we could have done because we had a long night ahead of us.  Once we woke up we just laid in bed till our 6:00 meeting.  We talked about the rules and what numbers to call in case of an emergency. Just in case you wanted to know, it's 999 for an emergency!  

After that we decided to go on a walk around our area to get more familiar with it.  We walked forever but I absolutely loved it! Everything here is AMAZING! I kinda wish Pete would fly out here for our engagements because it is beautiful! Everything is soooo green! The buildings are so cool with so much detail! I love how there is so much meaning to every little thing and there is so much I can learn while I am here! On our walk we saw the church which was cool! We saw where Kate and William live (or will live after her baby?), which by the way the outside is gorgeous! I'll have to get better pictures later on in the trip but it was amazing! It was so much fun just to walk around and look at everything! I can't wait to get out and adventure more!  



Then we came back and had to keep ourselves awake till at least 9:30 pm London time (2:30 pm Utah time) and that was a challenge.  I was exhausted and didn't feel good but I did it! Well I can successfully say I made it through day 1 and 2 of this adventure!  Thanks again to all those who have helped me on this journey! I love and miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment