Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Day 23: The Louvre :)

Today has been a really good day but an exhausting one!  I got lucky and got to sleep in today because our teacher took a different class to lecture for the first half of the day and my class got to go at noon :) We went to the Louvre and I literally fell in love with Art History even more!  It was amazing and so incredibly big! Apparently if you spent 30 seconds looking at each painting or artwork then it would take over 3 months to see the entire thing! Isn't that crazy?!  Our teacher took us to some of her favorite artworks and as she taught us about the paintings it hit me that I love Art History to the point that I am going to look into minoring in it now :) Here are some of the paintings that I learned about from Jacques-Louis David.







After our teacher's lecture we were free to roam the museum and work on our assignment.  You'll never guess the first thing I went to...MONA LISA! It was nothing like I expected it to be though.  It was tiny and there were hundreds of people crowding around it so you could barely look at it enough to appreciate it.  I was more intrigued with the crowds rather than the actual painting haha so I decided to take my picture with a sign showing where Mona Lisa was...it was the closest I could actually get to the painting other than the zoom from my camera ;)







After that Lauren and I spent the next three hours working on our homework looking at pictures and searching for sculptures but it sure was fun!  We spent a good 5 hours in the Louvre!! :) I got a little book about some of the artwork in the Louvre and I seriously can't wait to read more about them and teach them to my family and future family :)



After the Louvre a group of us walked down the street to a little shopping area.  We kinda split up and Lauren and I did our own thing.  We went into many different stores and finally found Mango (the store we've been looking for).  I got some new jeans and can't wait to wear them!!  We were exhausted from our long day that we decided to get food.  I bet you already know where we went...McDonald's for the THIRD time today! We went there for lunch, to get ice cream after the Louvre, AND dinner.  I am not going to ever want McDonald's when I get home but it's the cheapest and quickest thing here in Europe...

When we were done with dinner we came home just in time to miss getting caught in the rain.  We spent most of the night in the lobby because the WiFi wasn't working very well.  Here is what Lauren and I are collecting...WiFi tickets ;)




When we came back up to our room and started getting ready for bed it kinda just hit both of us that we are ready to come home.  It's not that we don't love it here because we do! It's just really hard being away from home and you start missing the little things like clean clothes, nice bed, fresh water, and good WiFi.  But the more I thought about it the more I realized that I was supposed to come to Europe to experience all this, both the good and the bad, so that I can appreciate what I do have at home.  I don't know how I would do it without WiFi, even if it sucks at times...but if I wasn't able to talk to my family or Pete back at home then I probably would have been ready to come home on day 1.  So I am so grateful for the WiFi that I do have.  I am also grateful for a hotel room that gives me the shelter I need to get the tiny amount of sleep I do get.  I feel so bad for those people I see every day just living in the metro stations.  I see people sleeping on stairs or newspaper that has been laid on the ground and it makes me so grateful for the safe hotel I do have.  I am also grateful for the food I have to eat, even if it's McDonald's chicken nuggets, fries, and a Coca-Cola Light EVERY day.  I am grateful for the strength it gives me to continue throughout my day and for the stomach aches it gives me that makes me stay up late to get things done.  I could go on and on about the things I am grateful for, even though at times I may not seem like I am.  And I may not have everything like I do at home, but I know that I was given this opportunity to experience all this so I could realize how good I do have it at home. 

I have less than a week now to experience more that Paris has to offer and I know it will go by extremely fast so I just have to focus on the positive things and keep drinking Coca-Cola Light while I still can ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment