Monday, May 13, 2013

Day 7: Stonehenge, Old Sarum, and Salisbury Cathedral

Today was one of our excursion days, and when they say be prepared for a long day outside of London they mean it.  We met at 9:30 at the tube and headed to get on a train to Salisbury.  We have 25 people in our group so getting to and from places is a process.  We took an hour and a half train to Salisbury while having a photography lesson and I read some chapters in the Book of Mormon.



When we got to Salisbury it was beautiful! It was a cute little town with so many different shops and cafe's! We had an hour to eat and then we had to meet back together to head out to Stonehenge.  Lauren and I wandered around and finally found a small cafe and I got chicken nuggets with chips.  I was thinking I was going to get normal chips...but they were fries!  So today I learned a new thing! Chips in the UK are like fries :) It was way good and very filling! Then we wandered around and found cute shops and looked around for awhile.


The group was a little late getting together so we ran to get on our bus to Stonehenge.  On the way it was amazing! There were so many yellow mustard seeds and it was extremely green everywhere you looked!


Stonehenge was probably the most amazing thing I have seen! It was so cool! When we first got there the skies were so blue and it was sunny, but not for long! It started to pour! It was freezing cold and windy but don't worry I still took plenty of pictures through the rain storm because how often are you at STONEHENGE?! :)






Ok so now I think it is time to introduce our study abroad mascot...his name is Gustave.  He is a little creepy but he is in polka dots so I like him ;) haha but he comes with us everywhere!  He has been so many places in the world! He even has his own Facebook profile page! I got put in charge of him for Stonehenge and so I took some pictures with him!




After Stonehenge we got back on the bus and headed to Old Sarum.  It was beautiful!  Here are just some of the pictures I took!






This is my Art History teacher, Courtney! She is awesome! She is usually always wearing black, gray, or purple.  She loves anything that has a skull on it, and she is obsessed with Diet Coke :) just like me!! She knows so much about Art History it amazes me! We go to so many different places and she remembers every little detail! I am learning so much from her everywhere we go! When she teaches we call it the "Courtney Ballet" because she throws her arms around and is just so passionate about what she teaches! I have loved taking Art History from here and like she once said, "After studying abroad you will never want to take another class in a classroom".  I completely agree with her and have loved this experience I am having!


We were running late so we hurried and got on a bus to head back to the town of Salisbury.  We went to the Salisbury Cathedral.  We had a mini lecture about the cathedral and I learned so much! This cathedral has the tallest spire in England and is 404 feet high.  It is considered a gothic style cathedral because of the pointed arches and decoration on the exterior.  The cathedral was so cool and I loved the interior architecture.  I have definitely been opened up to so many new things these past couple of days and there is still more for me to see!!







After the cathedral we headed back to the train stop and waited a half an hour for our train.  Since everything was pretty much closed, I had some pretzels and Chocos which are milk chocolate pieces haha I know it's crazy but that's all that I had! After "dinner" we finally got on the train and I tried to sleep on the way back home.  We finally got back to the tube and Lauren and I have never walked so fast back to our flat. We were literally exhausted and ready to go to bed.  My boots are run down and I will sadly be leaving them here in London.  I have so much respect for missionaries who walk everywhere and it makes perfect sense of why their shoes get worn out so fast-unless you get them at Mr. Mac ;) haha but anyways...we got home, got everything ready, FaceTimed back home, and then went to bed! 

1 comment:

  1. Britt!!! So i am like 90 percent sure that you're in the same group as a girl i know, Chelsie Clarke! She's Steve's parent's next door neighbor, so random! You should meet her-she's awesome and i think you guys would be friends!

    Stonehenge looks amazing! I love the second picture of gustave, creepy cool, haha :-)

    How you don't mind me commenting on all your posts! I love your updates!

    ReplyDelete